Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Little Birdy Told Me...

I just read probably one of the most discouraging things I could have read about getting a job in the publishing industry, and how freaking difficult it can be.

Lets see. It mentioned something about assuming that all of my competition for any job I would apply to is a well read, 4.0 Harvard graduate, with all the money and connections they could possibly need to get an in for a great job with a great company... It also said that getting a job by just sending out resumes it highly unlikely. That you have to exploit and use till they're dry, any and all connections that you have in the industry; be it your cousin's-friend's-brother's-uncle, or someone you lived next door to when you were six. It said, if you don't have contacts, find contacts. It couldn't have stressed any more, how important contacts are...

I might have a few... I would have to dig deep and talk to people who are complete strangers, but I suppose it's better than nothing. Of course, my 3.16 from USF is nothing compared to Sally So-n-so's 4.0 from Harvard... Here it is already. I just graduated and I'm already thinking, why didn't I work harder? Why didn't I actually try? Why didn't I do better?

There is a glimmer of hope. It said that you have to really want it. And I do. I've been talking about getting into publishing for about 3 years now. I have to really want it, and I just have to figure out what it is about me that makes me different from every one else, what I have that they don't have. I have to figure out what makes me better, and I have to flaunt it.

So here is what I did / am going to do. I took notes on what I have to do. I'm going to make an attempt to do all those things. I'm going to make my resume immaculate and I am going to figure out how to win someone over, first in a cover letter, then in an interview. I am going to keep my options open and do what I can, but I am going to work as hard as possible toward getting the career that I want. That's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment