Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Stomach and I are Not Friends

I hate heartburn.

It is so painful that I literally can not sleep :/

Does this happen to anyone else? It's like constant, intense pain that starts from the center of my body and radiates out my chest and back.

The worst part is I'm not even 100 percent sure what causes it, ( although I'm pretty sure it's dairy). Last year, I was getting sick around about once a month. It was awful. It seriously made me hate my life. Then one day, when I was sick, I was talking to my dad about what I'd eaten that day, and he suggested that maybe I was sensitive to dairy. Impossible! I thought, because I eat so much dairy everyday! But then I thought about it and decided maybe it is dairy, maybe that's why I get sick so often. Now, the way I get sick from heartburn is not the normal way most people do. For me, it's like an outbreak that'll last for days until I finish a full treatment on the acid reducer. Then it goes away until I eat something that causes it again.

So I thought about it. Whenever I was sick, if I ate anything dairy, the heartburn would instantly flare up and become excruciatingly painful. Maybe its not caused just by eating dairy, maybe it's once I eat a certain amount, my stomach just can't take it anymore and it explodes.

So I tried it. I cut dairy out of my diet and within just a couple of days I was better without even using the acid reducer. So, I continued to leave the dairy out of my diet. After two months went by with no new outbreaks, I was convinced. But, I missed my dairy. So, I introduced it back into my diet in small amounts. Still no milk, no yogurt and only sour cream every now and then. I started eating cheese pretty much everyday, and a few other things every now and then.

Seven months went by, and I still hadn't gotten sick. It was definitely the dairy, (which I'm sure we all agree is really odd).

Then I got sick again one day after I ate way more food than my stomach could probably hold. I knew it wasn't from dairy because I hadn't eaten any dairy that day. So now I'm like okay, great, I can't just stuff my face till I'm about to explode every now and then. That sucks, but fine.
That was two months ago, and here I am, sick again. I'm not sure what may have caused it today. I did eat a lot, but not that much more than normal, and for some reason, today it's especially painful. So much so that I can't even sleep. Normally I'm able to fall asleep and then by morning I feel better. But right now, I just can't sleep no matter how hard I try. I'm just way too uncomfortable.

There is no real point to this post. Sometimes focusing on something makes me feel better, so i figured I'd write in my blog while simultaneously being able to complain about it, which also makes me feel better sometimes. Anyway, I guess I'll try to ignore the pain and go to sleep. And after today, I'll monitor my dairy intake even more strictly, and I'll make sure never to eat more than what makes me no longer hungry. As much as I love stuffing my face every now and then, it's just not worth the pain I suffer afterwards.

Goodnight all.

No comments:

Post a Comment