Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sometimes You Just Don't Feel Like It.

One thing I have noticed that came along with graduating college, getting a full time job and joining the real world of adulthood, is a lack of interest in writing (which is bad considering that's what I went to school for). I haven't done much creative work since graduating, and since getting a job I've done nothing creatively at all. On top of that, since getting a job, I've been feeling really slackery (yes I know that's not a real word. Embrace it) when it comes to my newsletter. I'm working on it. Just a lot more slowly than I should be.

I like to write. So why am I not doing it? Well, I suppose one reason would be that I get satisfaction out of writing in my blog, which I feel I have been pretty consistent with. But the main reason, I think, is just, well, after spending all day at work, I don't feel like it.

I wake up at six, leave the house at seven, get to work at eight, work till four and get home at five. By that time, all I want to do is relax for a bit. Then after some time goes by, joe gets off work. Of course, i want to spend some time with him, so I go over to his house for a bit. I still have to worry about dinner, working out and possibly showering. On top of that, all this has to be done by 10:30 because by then I'm ready to pass out.

I never realized how difficult working 40 hours really was. It takes a lot out of you and it makes all of your other little responsibilities in life that much more tedious. I'm not saying that writing is a chore. I'm just saying that sometimes, even doing the things you like has to take a back seat.

My social life for example. Many of my friends, being servers, work late and sleep in, which means they want to go out late. Yeah, I have to be up at 6. I think I'll pass.

Being an adult is rough...

Luckily, tomorrow I will begin working the night shift at my job. Maybe then my life will go back to some form of normalcy. For now.

2 comments:

  1. You should watch the J.K. Rowling movie- you might find it inspiring! I watched it last night because, yes, I'm that big of a nerd.

    Magic Beyond Words: The J.K. Rowling Story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, okay, thanks. I'll have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete