Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Change May be Scary, but Somtimes it's Essential

I spoke to someone the other day who used to work in the publishing industry...

He gave me a lot of advice and information on the career path I'm trying to walk down. As I of course suspected, he told me that in order to get anywhere in this industry, I'll probably have to move to New York or LA. He also told me that I would have to start from the absolute bottom, which I also knew. But he gave me some words of encouragement. He told me it would be difficult, because the publishing industry isn't what it used to be, and it still continues to change towards a new direction. But, he did tell me that no matter what, writing will always need editing, and if I work really hard and I really want it, then I can do it.

So, clearly, I have to look into moving, as I knew I would. I know I'm not ready yet, because I have a lease and a few other things keeping me here for now, but, I'm still going to start sending applications outside of Florida. Maybe after I have some money saved up and I'm able to take care of the things I have here in Florida, I might get an offer that I can take, and I can go... I'm not in a hurry, but I am very anxious. I'm still hoping to find something in The Sunshine State for now, but I'm willing to take my other options into consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment