Thursday, February 3, 2011

Here's to Hope

Yesterday I had to leave school pretty abruptly, missing two of my classes, to go back home so I could ride with my mom and sister over to my Grandma's house.

Early last year, my Grandmother was diagnosed with cancer, in the fourth stage. Throughout the past year she has been going through chemo and other treatments to help get rid of the cancer.
Her last treatment was the other day and to the comfort of my family, the cancer was gone.

Unfortunately, that last session of chemo was a little too much for her. The soft tissue on several of her internal organs was zapped and singed.
Yesterday, when we arrived, she was in a very weak state, unable to breath on her own, or speak, or eat, or even move voluntarily. It's an awful thing to see someone you love and care about so much in such a state. I could hardly stand it.

My aunts and uncles had a priest come to the house yesterday to give her her last rights. Everyone was certain she wouldn't make it through the day.

Today, she is still here with us, and, to our amazement, she is doing a little better. Today, she is more alert, and is more responsive to the people in the room with her. She tries now to speak, and although none of it is coherent, it's still better than yesterday. She was able to have a drink of water today, which is wonderful considering she did not drink or eat all day yesterday. Today, the odds are a little more on her side.

I don't know if my Grandma will make it through or not, but one things for certain; my Grandma is a strong woman, and she's made it through a lot, and I don't think she'll leave us anytime soon without at least a  fight. I have a lot of hope and faith that she just might pull through. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I can't help but feel that it's not her time. Not yet.

Right now, is a time of stress for my family and myself. We are all concerned about this woman we all love so dearly, as well as all the other strife we have going on in each of our lives. But oddly enough, sitting here surrounded by my family, all of us hoping and waiting, there's a little bit of comfort, and the stress, just for the moment, has gone away.

No comments:

Post a Comment