Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The "Cha-ching" Instinct

For the next few weeks, I am going to be a minimalist. Why? Might you ask. Well, the answer is really quite simple... I'm broke.

Wait a minute. Don't you have a full time job now, with a steady pay check, making more money?

Well, yes, but as everyone knows, but probably doesn't realize, one thing that goes right along with graduating college and getting a full time job is the accumulation of bills. I am now paying every last one of my bills all by myself, and believe me, they cost a pretty penny. But that's not the problem. My pay checks more than cover them. So here's another little known fact that people don't really realize.

When you make more money, you spend more money -- It's true. I've been a spend-aholic lately. I just buy things on a whim without really even thinking about it. It's like, hey I want that -- purchase.
No more of this, "I want that, too bad I can't afford it" crap.

But that's not the problem either.

When you make more money, you want to live in a nicer apartment, in a nicer neighborhood, with nicer things. That'll be first and last months rent plus security, please. Oh you have a pet too? don't forget about the pet deposit.

Everything about being out of college and working a full time job makes life more expensive. And if you had to take out loans while in school, six months after graduation, you'll really start to regret that decision. Another hefty bill to add to the list.

So how do you avoid going broke?

Just be smart. Don't spend your money on every little thing you see and want. Set aside an amount out of every check to save. Budget the things you need and make compromises with yourself about whats important. If you want to have a night out with your friends, fine. but if you want to save some money, pick up some beer or wine from the convenient store and make it a night in instead.

It's okay to splurge a little now and then, just don't make a habit out of it.

Oh, and don't have kids, because in that case, you can just kiss all your money goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment